Wednesday, September 2, 2009

She's Crafty

or at least I try to be anyway.

I have had the crafting bug a lot lately. I have been wanting to make a patchwork skirt and finally gave in and bought the fabric and did it. Here is a tutorial on how to make one. Please note that this is my first ever tutorial so bare with me.............

This skirt is made from 5 inch squares of material. I went to Hobby Lobby and found 5 different coordinating fabrics and I used 32 squares. The length is approximately 12 inches.

You will need:
32 coordinating 5 inch squares of fabric.
16 inch piece of 1/4 inch elastic.
Thread to match fabric.
Safety pin
Sewing machine
Iron
Serger if you have one. I don't so I just did a zig zag stitch to finish the edges.




Arrange your charm squares in a pattern that you like. These will be the tiers of the skirt. Keep in mind that the square on the far left will be joined with the one on the far right as well.
There should be 8 in the first row, 11 in the second row, and 13 in the bottom row.

Sew these together in rows, just as you would a row of quilt blocks. I used a 1/4 inch seam on mine. Then fold over 1/4" and iron and then fold over another 1/4" and iron again. Then I sewed that.

Once you have your rows completed, fold each of them end to end with right sides together. Stitch them with a 1/4 inch seam. They should then look like "tubes" of fabric. Press all the seems on the inside so they are facing the same direction.

Take your bottom tier (the one with the most squares) and decide which edge will be the top and which will be the bottom. Also choose a seam to be the center back of your skirt. Turn your fabric wrong side out and press up 1/2 inch along the bottom edge. Fold the raw edge back under itself so that the raw edge meets the crease and press it again. (Alternately you could press up 1/4 inch and then press up another 1/4 inch.) Pin this if you need to, but try not to use too many pins as it can sort of distort the shape and it may be harder to sew. Beginning at your chosen center back seam and with the wrong side of the fabric up, stitch with a regular straight stitch on your machine all the way around, keeping close to the inside edge of the hem. Take a few stitches back and forth across the beginning and end to lock the stitches.

Do two rows of gathering stitches 1/4" apart from each other. Be sure to leave a couple of inches of thread at the ends so you can pull them.
I would set the gathering stitch at 4.5 next time. It will make it easier to gather.
Just sayin'


This is what it should look like after you have done both stitches.



Pull GENTLY on the stitches. You don't want the thread to break or you will have to start all over! Pull the threads tightly and begin to gather.

Okay, so I'm a retard. I didn't get a picture of the next step. HELLO! Once you have done your gathering, get the tiers together and put them right sides together and sew.



Now, you want to sew your casing for the elastic. Turn 1/4" and iron. Turn 1/2" again and iron and then sew as close to the edge as you can so you have enough room for your elastic. I used 1/4" elastic. Use a safety pin to pull your elastic through. Be sure the stitch the elastic together.



Here is the finished product!
Go here for a lot better instructions!!!!!

I did another skirt for my almost 7 year old little girl. It's a little bit different but with the same idea.....

Gross. The color is off. I hate it when that happens. Oh well. You get the idea.

5 comments:

  1. ok I LOVE LOVE LOVE that skirt!! you are amazing!!! can you make one for me?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be calling you to help me, I wanna make one! They turned out so cute, you're really making all the rest of us look bad ya know. Will you come with me to pick out fabric too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is darling! You are very talented. I guess not working has given you time to be crafty. Great job on the skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOWSA! Those are stinkin cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would have known that my Missy Kissy would turn out to be such a seamstress.

    ReplyDelete