Friday, January 1, 2010

A Birthday, A Wedding, A Funeral, and Braces!

It's been a crazy, emotional ride this past month. Wowza. It's been such a whirlwind. Kaylan celebrated her 4th birthday on December 14th. She had a birthday party with her cute little friends from the neighborhood. She had such a blast! I can't believe my little baby girl is 4 years old. Wow time flies.


My cute sister, Tenille, and her family flew in from Delaware to share the holidays with us. It's always fun to see them. Unfortunately we only get to see them once a year, if that.
The following day my little brother (the last of us 5 kids) was married on December 18th in the beautiful Draper temple. It was so neat to see him and his beautiful bride, Collette.




On the evening of the 19th I was making some dinner. My cell phone rang and I saw that it was my mom calling. I immediately got a sick feeling in my stomach. It was my sister Tenille calling to let me know that Beita was in a coma and she was in her last hours. I hung up the phone and ran to put my shoes on. I started to cry. I was in a panic mode. The girls were worried and wanted to come and say goodbye to Beita as well. Owen had just gone down for the night so Tony stayed home with him. We got into the car and raced down to see her. It seemed like it took forever. As we entered her apartment I was greeted by family. I walked into my grandma's room and there she laid. She looked horrible. It looked nothing like my grandma. She was doing the death rattle breathing and I knew it was coming. She could not speak but she could still hear you. We all took turns talking to her and saying our last words. She would move her eyes under her lids when you spoke and it seemed like she would try to talk but couldn't get it out. It was so hard to see her like this. We all sat around the bed and sang church hymns to her--in English as well as in Spanish. My brother and uncle gave her a beautiful blessing releasing her from this life and going into the next. It was a very spiritual experience and very peaceful as well as calming.
The girls and I ended up leaving around midnight. I slept with my phone in my hands. I was woken up to a text message from my aunt saying that it was time. I raced out of bed and into the car. I got there just 1/2 hour after her passing away. I cried and cried. I was sad but I was also happy that she was reunited with the love of her life and just picturing him standing there with his arms wide open ready to greet her just made me so happy.
We had a small funeral for her here in Salt Lake the following Tuesday. It was a long day. There was another funeral for her in Los Angeles on December 26th. I was unable to attend that. I really wanted to go and see my other family members in California but that's a whole other story that I won't even go into. Unfortunately when a death occurs in a family it brings out the not-so-pretty traits of others and it brings bickering and selfishness. Oh well. Life goes on for the rest of us and I just need to get over it.

Whew! After all that I finally got some really good news! It was time to get my braces off. HALLELUJAH! I never thought the day would come. It feels oh, so good. I do have to wear a retainer but I'd much rather have that than braces again.



All I know now is that 2009 is thankfully over and that 2010 is gonna be my year!

7 comments:

  1. Miss you look BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...your teeth look beautiful! And, all those cute curls in Kaylan's hair...so stinkin' cute! So sorry to hear about your grandma. She's so dang lucky to have a granddaughter as sweet and thoughtful as you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, no more braces. You look great! Your grandma sounds so wonderful. She left a wonderful legacy...couldn't ask for more than that...what an example for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that there was something different about you the other day!! Your TEETH!!! They look so good!!! Congratulations!! So sorry about your Grandma!! I cry everytime that write about her!! She has touched my life, I can only imagine what a GREAT lady that she was!! Love You my Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you, I found your blog from steph's. My condolences to you and your family, I am so sorry for your loss. yay for no more braces! thats awesome!! I have a blog too but its private so send me your email to tahnieleigh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great! I love a Beautiful smile! I'm sorry about your grandmother, death is such a rotten hard thing, I don't know how people without the gospel ever get through it honestly. And what a GREAT attitude for 2010! I think I may adopt it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are VERY cute!! i love your hair!!..

    ReplyDelete