Thursday, May 27, 2010

NYC Part TWO- The Etch a Sketch Man

Like I said in my previous post, you never know who you will run into--especially in New York.  Since our time was limited and one of my sister in laws is really into plays, she and my other sister in law decided to see two plays in one day.  That is too much sitting for me so I opted to roam around the city by myself and I could buy our tickets for the evening play.  So I did.  I roamed and walked and shopped and stared.  It was a lot of fun.
I went on over to stand in the discount ticket line for the play.  As I was standing in this ridiculously long line, I decided to ask the guy in front of me what plays he head seen and which ones he recommended.  Well, as I got to talking to him, I asked him if he was from there.  He said no, that he lives in LA but for work he flies out almost every weekend!  I asked him what he did for a living and he told me that he is an entertainer.  I asked him what kind and he said, "Well, I'm the Etch a Sketch Man!"  What?!  I said, "Oh, that explains the small Etch a Sketch that I saw in your back pants pocket then."  He said that he does private parties for people (mostly celebs) and draws their portrait on an Etch a Sketch in 2 minutes or less.  I couldn't believe it but as he was telling me all this, he proceeded to do one of me!  And he did it in less than two minutes.  I had to time him you know. ;)
Oh yeah.  Apparently he was on Oprah.  My sister in law couldn't believe it because she saw that episode.  CRAZY!


I'd say that he is rather quite talented.  Pretty amazing if you ask me.  And to think that people pay for this and I got it all FOR FREE!  It sure made the ticket line go by fast.  What an interesting guy.  He's also been in some Broadway shows.  Very cool guy.



****Funny side note****

Later when I met up with my sister in laws, they asked if I got tickets and I said yes and told them my little story about my friend in line.  They then proceeded to ask me what tickets I got and I ended up getting tickets for the show that they had just seen!!!!!!!  What an idiot I am!  I couldn't believe it.  I started sweating bullets and slightly having a panic attack and these tickets are non-refundable and you can't exchange them!  Well, I did however, make another friend, and this one was a VERY important friend because she was my cashier at the ticket booth.  These people in the ticket booth can be very short and rude with you if you don't know what you want when you get up to them.  But this lady took a liking to me for some reason.  I found her there and I ran up to her and she said, "Oh no.  What happened sweetheart?"  I explained the whole situation to her and before I could finish telling her the whole fiasco, she just said, "Hand me your tickets honey.  I'll see what I can do."  Bless her!  I was on Cloud 9 once again.  PHEW!  She told me that she does NOT do this for a lot of people but she liked me and thought I was different.  Thank goodness!

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! And rare that you found someone friendly in NYC!

    What show did you end up seeing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that's the guy on Oprah!

    ReplyDelete