Saturday, October 1, 2011

My First Ever Triathlon!






I did my first triathlon last week.  It was called the TRIATHAMOM.  It was a lot of fun and I can't believe I actually did something like that.  It has been something I've wanted to try but really wasn't expecting to do one this year.  My cute boss asked a few of us at work if we wanted to do one with her.  I asked when it was and when she said it was in 4.5 weeks I said, "no way!" Well, later that night I was talking to Tony and told him about the conversation at work and he told me that it sounded fun and that I should just do it.  Before I knew it I was all giddy with excitement and decided I would....even with very little training.  Ahh, training.  Most people train for about 13 weeks.  I had no idea how to train so I made up my own training (which wasn't much!)  I swam three times and went running 5 or 6!  I wasn't too worried about the biking because I felt like that was my strong area.

It was an all women's race and the swimming was in a pool so that was nice.  Two other co-workers decided to do the race as well so that was fun!  We stayed the night at my parent's house since the event was in Herriman.  We got there about 7:30 to set up our transition stations and then went into the pool.  There were so many people that I didn't even get in until after 9:00.  I finished the swim in 10:02 which was great for me because the best I did in training was 12:00.

I then went to T1 and put on my helmet, shoes, and running skirt.  The bike ride was only 12 miles and I figured there wouldn't be any hills since it was pretty flat out there.  Oh no, I was wrong.  It started out on a slight hill and got worse from there!   I kept on truckin and finished the first hill.  Yes, the first hill.  There was a second hill.  A lot of people hopped off their bikes and were walking them.  I was going a whopping 3.8mph.  But I knew if I got off the bike it not only would ruin my time but I would have a hard time getting back on!  I was also on a mountain bike which I'm sure made it a little more difficult.  At least I like to think that;) It was a glorious moment when I got to the top and flew down that hill.  It was great!  I got going 33mph and I was just hoping I wouldn't hit a rock.

I finally made it to T2 and got ready to run.  I put my ipod on and headed out.  Boy was that a weird feeling.  I felt like I was going in such s................l................o................w..............motion after having just ridden the bike.  I hate running and have never like it so I knew this would be my worst event.  I found a lady that was going about the same as me so I decided to set her as my pace.  And then I passed her!  Yay for me!  I just needed to stay ahead of her and I would be happy.  It was such a joyous and emotional feeling as I got to the finish line and saw my cute family there.  I loved it and I felt so proud of myself.  I finished the whole thing in 1:51.  I was pretty happy with that.  I'll take it. I think my time would have been better if I trained more for the running and had a road bike....maybe.  The lady that took 2nd place was pregnant (with bump) and finished in 1:08.  CRAZY TOWN!

All in all, it was such a fun experience.  I can't wait to do this particular one again next year.  This was their first one and it was great.  I really liked how they involved the family too.  They had bounce houses, slides, free food, face painting, and a sign making station.  They looooved it.

2 comments:

  1. good for you!! you are amazing and such an inspiration!

    Stansbury has a tri every summer. I keep telling myself someday I will do it. :) the swimming is in our lake so that part kinda grosses me out! you should come out here next year and do it and maybe I will join you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go. I haven't done any tri's lately. I should do this one next year. Sounds like a goodie!
    You did great, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete